Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Creative Aging in Senior Citizens Project Final - Kelly Sisco


Getting Older & Keeping Active 
Draw Your Way to a Longer Life !!







“We've put more effort into helping folks reach old age than into helping them enjoy it.”
 - Frank A. Clark


Seniors Enjoying their Lives


  1. Love Your Life at Any Age !!

  2. Keeping active is an important concern for many senior citizens as well as their family members. Health limitations associated with old age can limit certain activities, but getting involved in a creative activity is not one of them. Senior citizens that continue to be interested in daily activities as well as new and existing hobbies find that they sleep better, keep their mind active, fight the onset of depressions, and generally have a healthier outlook on life. Health limitations such as arthritis, loss of mobility, and Alzheimer’s can set limitations on what creative activities an individual can do, but it cannot stop them from thriving in the creative process associated with being active and enjoying the quality of their lives. I have spent some time researching, understanding and seeing just how getting involved in any type of creative active can really benefit people, especially when they become elderly.




    Why is creativity the best tool when entering the third stage of life?


    Just because one is old doesn't mean they are outdated. Aging provides people with one of the most powerful things in the universe: knowledge of experience. With that knowledge one can be expected to create stunning works of art, writings, and songs. If anything: age empowers creativity.

    Encourages the mind to continually see the world in new ways.
    Nurtures problem solving skills.
    Helps to process and work through emotional issues.
    Fosters community involvement leading to the lessening of depression and loneliness.
    Connects the inner spiritual self to the physical world in giving the spirit a tangible voice.
    Promotes physical activity.
    Creativity reinforces essential connections between brain cells, including those responsible for memory.
     Creativity strengthens morale. It alters the
    way we respond to problems and sometimes
    allows us to transcend them. Keeping a fresh
    perspective makes us emotionally resilient.
    Challenging the brain can relieve sleep
    and mood disorders.
    Reading, writing and word games increase
    one’s working vocabulary and help to fend
    off forgetfulness.
    Capitalizing on creativity promotes a
    positive outlook and sense of well-being.
    That boosts the immune system, which fights
    disease.
    Having an active, creative life makes it
    easier to face adversity-including the loss
    of a spouse.


    The power of creativity in life is monumental.
  • At a point in life when circumstances cause many emotions and challenges, adjustments to daily living, or more leisure time, creative art forms may offer a hobby, passion, and an important tool for dealing with life issues. Creative expression can be an outlet, a release, and a from of expression. For seniors, using art to communicate and to process the complex events in their life opens a new window to the worldCreative activity has been shown to reduce depression and isolation offering the power of choice and decisions, two things that seniors may feel they are losing in their lives. Both the act of creative expression and social interaction are essential to the mental and physical well being of elderly people. There is much more to a truly healthy, rounded and fulfilling life than this. Let us not forget the importance of creativity, activity, and sharing some time together. These things can be so meaningful to a person, especially towards the end of their life. 


  • People I Interviewed -

    Karen Brinn – Friend of the family and was the Executive Director of the Westchester Center for Creative Aging and has worked with Senior Citizens for 25 years. Karen loves helping people and her involvement with Seniors has enriched and changed her life so much and she has made many friends with the Seniors she has helped.
    Sandra Hauss – 68 year old Senior and friend of mine who participates in many creative activities like the Poetry Caravan, is enrolled in special classes for people over 50 at WCC, used to teach a few creative classes and does creative writing on her own time. Sandra feels that being creative and involved in many different things has helped to shape her life in a very positive way.
    Eleanor Sisco (My Grandma, Dad’s Mom) – 84 years old and loved to draw & paint when she was a Senior in her 70’s but now she has Parkinson's and even doing basic activities is hard on her. She does not get involved in things and this is hard for her family to see because we know if she did some type of creative activity she would benefit greatly from it and enjoy her life more. My grandma was always an active person where now she cannot be or does not want to be at this stage of her life.


    Video of Interview with Karen Brinn
    Speaking with the Head of Many Senior Programs

    "Like a morning dream, life becomes more and more bright the longer we live, and the reason of everything appears more clear. What has puzzled us before seems less mysterious, and the crooked paths look straighter as we approach the end." - Jean Paul Richter


    Photo - Where Karen was Executive Director

    Photo - Flyer Karen Brinn Created and
    Program she Set Up.


    Following 10 Questions – Developed by Kelly Sisco
    Directed Toward Someone who Heads Up a Senior Facility on Programs for them. These Questions were Answered by Karen Brinn in her Video

    1.  What made you want to work with senior citizens, get involved with them and help them with the quality of their lives?
    2.  What activities, programs, or classes have you found that senior citizens like and respond to the best? Also what activities, programs, or classes have you seen them grow the most from after attending?
    3.  Are these activities, programs, or class only offered at your facility or do you know if most senior communities offer them?
    4.  Can you explain in depth a change you noticed in a certain senior citizen after they attended one of these activities, programs,or classes? Explain how that senior citizen was affected and if that change was positive or negative?
    5.  Do you feel that creative programs help senior citizens and help them to live a healthier longer life? If yes, explain why this might be so.
    6.  Would you encourage your loved one (who is a senior citizen) to join any of these creative programs knowing what you know about these types of programs? Do creative programs really make a difference in their lives?
    7.  As a teacher of these creative programs have you felt that your work has been rewarding and you have gotten pleasure out of helping senior citizens? Talk about an especially rewarding time for you, if there was one.
    8.  Describe a time when a senior citizen has given you a hard time and did not want to cooperate with you? I am asking you this because some senior citizens I have found can be somewhat difficult to get to do things and are not willing to do things on their own unless you push them.
    9.  Did you find that when after you encouraged a senior citizen and got them to be creative even if they do not want to, you found out that they really did love it after all and were glad that someone encouraged them? I’m asking because some senior citizens do not have a passion to do things at their age and have given up on life. As a result if you feel this is true, than do you feel that
    having a creative outlet in your life keeps your mind sharp and your body young. If yes, how so?
    10.   Has their been any moments when with a senior citizen that have been emotional in a happy or sad way? Explain this memory and talk about how it affected you who knows the senior citizen? Also talk about if you saw a change in the senior citizen and if that change has helped them in other aspects of their lives?


    Video of Interview with Sandra Hauss
    Speaking with a Senior Citizen Directly
     
    What’s the secret to aging gracefully?
    We can’t stop the clock, but we can keep our spirits young with humor, gratitude, and creativity.




    Video of Sandra Hauss Reading her Poetry
    at the Greenburgh Public Library on 4/27/12



    Following 10 Questions –
    Speaking to a Senior Citizen Directly –
    Developed by Kelly Sisco
    These Questions were Answered by
    Sandra Hauss in her Video

    1. Do you belong to any creative programs or class or do you just like to do creative things by yourself? List the creative activities you do by yourself or with others in a program or class.
    2.  What creative activities, program, or classes do you enjoy best? Do you think being creative has affected you and helped you to stay younger? If yes, explain why.
    3.  Have you made any friends through the creative activities you enjoy and have you become friends with them because you share the same interest? What is the mutual bond connecting the two of you? Friends are important and could you talk about the time and how the two of you became friends?
    4.  Is there a special place like a nursing home, senior center or activities group that you enjoy best? If yes, where is the place and what is the name of the center? If no, tell me what has made you not join one of those places or groups? If you answered no, tell me if you just like and enjoy being by yourself when doing your creative projects?
    5.  If you as a senior citizen could set up and start your own class and get a group of people involved, would you? What type of creative activities would you be doing in this class? Would you enjoy teaching the class?
    6.  Do you know anyone who does not do any type of creative activities but you think would benefit from doing creative activities and experiencing them and making them a part of their life? If yes, why do you feel creative activities would help that certain person
    7.  When in your life did you know that you were a creative and expressive person? Talk about your first creative experience in detail.
    8.   Are there any times when you cannot get your creative juices flowing and you have a block and cannot think of what to creative. Explain this feeling and what goes on in your head? What helps you to creative and think imaginatively?
    9.  Talk about a time when you shared your creative work with others and tell me about how others reacted to what you had shown them?
    10.  If you as a senior citizen were forced into having to do a creative activity because someone told you that it would improve your quality of life and after getting involved with something creative, are you glad and do you see a change in your life. If yes, what kind of chance do you see?


    Following 10 Questions –
    Speaking to a Senior Citizen Directly.
    The Answers that Sandra Hauss Typed out for me.

    1.  Poetry Caravan, classes at WCC, Learning to See workshops, writing roundtable at Pace, attend theater and concerts; do word puzzles, play Scrabble and Words With Friends online; took one art class and try to practice art activities at home; I did crafts for some time and performed as singer/actress in community theater.  My husband I and belonged to a Phi Beta Kappa discussion group for many years and we've had subscriptions to Lincoln Center, Westchester Philharmonic and Broadway theaters.  We enjoy seeing creative endeavors as well as being creative ourselves.
    2.  I like those that involve writing poetry or memoir essays and which have lots of interesting discussion; these activities definitely keep me younger because I'm always on the go and like to interact with people; I keep my mind active with books and word games as well.
    3.  I have loads of friends for each of my activities.  The bond has been writing or reading poetry aloud, but I play games with friends, attend theater with my husband and/or friends.  I'm also an animal lover so I interact with others who have pets that they love and care for.  I am still connected to the girls I sang with as a youngster as well as the group I performed with in theater.
    4.  Basically I enjoy my writing roundtable that meets at Pace college library the best.  It is a group of 5 writers that critique each other's work and do writing activities to prompts the rotated leaders bring.  I also love giving readings in hospitals and assisted living facilities.  I find I get even more than I give when I present poetry to them.  It is incredibly rewarding.  My personal choice is New York Presbyterian Hospital, mainly in the substance abuse unit.  I have found the people there to be extremely intelligent and responsive to the pieces I present.  The Poetry Caravan has given me opportunities to share my love of poetry with so many people. My elderly mother has Alzheimer and is in an excellent facility where they have daily painting, music, dominos, bingo, etc.  I have seen such an improvement in her mental state and general well being. 
    5.  Having been a teacher for 29 years before I retired, including 18 years of teaching gifted students, I would probably be involved with creative writing.  I have a background in theater and have organized workshops.  Right now I have absolutely no desire to work!  I love my free time.  I do not consider the activities I'm involved with to be 'work' in the traditional sense.
     6.  Most of the people I know are involved in either creative or sporting activities like tennis.  Some do crafts and/or attend sporting events. Many are involved in book clubs and games.  All of my friends are pretty active.
    7I began writing poetry in high school; my first poetic endeavors were in response to political situations.  I didn't get my poems published until my forties.  I also discovered acting/singing and sang with a rock and roll trio starting in seventh grade.  We still get together and have singing reunions even though we live in disparate parts of the country.  I did community theater - mostly musical comedy - for ten years.   I didn't realize I was talented in crafts until in my forties when my second husband and I bought a home and I began making things for it.  I also made gifts for class parents when I taught and got grants to do crafts projects combined with poetry in my classroom.
    8.  Yes that does happen.  I am not the disciplined kind of writer who writes every day or constantly thinks about publishing.  My grandfather wrote poetry for many years (I have his writings on 5x8 index cards in a box upstairs).   He wrote mainly observations; he might stand on a street corner watching the housewives come from shopping and then write about them.  For me ekphrastic workshops have taught me to explore a piece of art and write in response to that.  I also keep lists of phrases I might use on the wall in front of my computer.  It is usually a workshop or class that keeps me writing -- that's why I always enroll in one when it is offered.
    9.  My friend and I got involved with the Ridgefield Theater Barn to present an evening of original poetry.  We hesitate being part of it because it was a long drive, mostly on rainy nights, and we had lots of rehearsing for that one presentation.  It turned out to be incredibly successful; we met lots of fascinating people, presented with about eight other poets and got wonderful feedback.  Both of our husbands attended, and everyone had an incredible evening.
    10I am probably not quite old enough to be in that category yet and I've never had to be encouraged to become involved in creative endeavors.  Usually if an idea was presented, e.g. auditioning for a play or reading, joining the Caravan, doing literacy training, participating in a roundtable, performing or going to something cultural as a spectator, I will get involved.  Sometimes the idea does need to be presented more than once, but in the end I'm always amenable to try something new.



    Photo of My Grandma, Eleanor Sisco now at Age 84.

    “Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts.”
     - Martin Buxbaum



    Interview Answers with My Grandma (Eleanor Sisco) - Refer Back to Questions about Speaking to a Senior Citizen Directly

    1.  Currently, my grandma is not taking any creative classes anywhere but she did take one class a few weeks ago and did not follow through with it because she has Parkinson's disease and her ability to use her hands is hard. This is very sad for me to see since she was a great painter at one point. The lines in her drawings used to be
    exact and perfect and now since her hands shake she can not make them perfect like she wants. So my family has told her to create abstract painting but she has trouble even holding a brush. So for her the creative classes of painting and drawing are not good for her anymore. But, other classes like singing she would probably like since I sing with her and she lights up when she hears me. Right now my family is trying to get her involved in aprogram but she is resisting because she feels helpless but in the past she would say yes and attend if she did not feel as sick as she does. My family is trying to convince her that their might be a class that might actually make her feel better where she is making friends. She will be attending a class in the near future and she is trying to listen more to what her family is saying that very well could help her. I, as her only granddaughter just wants her to enjoy her life more. 
      2.  In the past, when my grandma painted she got such great joy out of doing it and I know that if she brings creative activities to her life she can feel better.(Her paintings were amazing and that is not just coming from her granddaughter.) My grandma just has to trust her family more and see that we maybe do know what's better for her. My grandma said yes that she did like doing creative activities and wishes she could be well enough to do them again. But, her family sees more strength in her than she actually sees in herself. I know that she needs to believe in herself now and I see her struggling and can do many things when she pushes herself. 
    3.  My grandma is a very friendly, sweet lady that tries very hard in everything she does. She feels that people are judging her and she does not want people to think bad of her or that she is incapable of doing normal everyday things. My grandma knows that she needs more interaction in her life to make her happy and she wants that interaction but she is having a hard time getting that when she stays home. When she is faced with people I see her brighten up and get excited so I know that will help her. We almost put my grandma in an Assistant Living Facility in Tuckahoe and if it was not for money she knows and her family knows too that she would be happier today getting to interact with different people. Everyone needs loving people in their lives. My grandmahad a girlfriend who she does not talk with much anymore since she is 10 years younger and wanted to keep active in her life and the fact that my grandma could not she pushed away.
    4.  My grandma has been to the Wartburg Nursing Home in Mount Vernon, NY and has taken classes there. She actually attended a class there and few weeks ago and played Bingo. Bingo is not a creative class but it did get her to interact with others, which is great for her also. Her home health aid took her and she stayed there the entire day. She liked the people and the place very much and would go back if she was felt better and more like herself. She has also attended classes at The Phelem Art Center in the past and her family is trying to get her to go back there as soon as she starts to feel a little better.
    5.  My grandma at this stage in her life would not but when she was younger and still a senior would have like to because my grandma used to be a very social women who did many things in her life. But right now, the answer for her would be no and just attending a class is hard for her now even though she has tried and will be trying to attend more classes in the future.
    6.  My grandma believes that before her husband (my grandfather) died this past August 2011 he would of enjoyed creative classes if he felt better himself. My grandfather and I, his granddaughter always sang songs together and he would get a big kick out of it. Whenever company would come to the house he would get all exited and my grandfather was a friendly man but for some reason he actually did not enjoy some of the creative classes he attended as much as his family thought he would for the same reason my grandma did not. This is because both of them think very much alike and do not want others judging them in their older age. I kept telling him that many of the seniors that attend these class have problems and are just trying their best but my grandparents always did not like when people had to do things for them and they felt helpless. But I do know that when they see and are around people their state totally improves and becomes more happy.
    7.  Doing creative actives for my grandma started when she was my parents age and she was in her 60's. She painted and sewed and would love to show everyone the work she created. A time for her when she really enjoyed her drawing and painting skills was when she was helping me, her granddaughter, paint a sense of a little house in the snow with the sun just coming out. We were copying the photo from a painting book. She loved teaching me all she knew about how to copy what you see and re-create it. My grandma was a very good teacher and my painting came out excellent, thanks to her help. The lines in my drawing were perfect since my painting was not done or complete until they were she told me. Me and her fixed that painting for hours and it was a great bonding experience for us a well. Also, for us to remember that day and moment is special too.
    8.  There were many times when my grandma did not know or have a subject to draw or paint. She would look for things around her and in her environment that jumped out at her. She would also look to copy photos in a painting book and see if she could make her photo look just like the artist. Sometimes not having a place to start got my grandma nervous but she would ask someone what they might want painted to hang in their house and she would get ideas from others who knew my grandma's style of art. My family saw a photo of an old tennis sneaker in a painting book and my mom said that would be a cute painting to have hanging in our bathroom and my grandma at first said that photo is of nothing special and not of a beautiful sense but she put her own feeling aside and painted it anyway and it turned out great. My family was not shocked because we all knew my grandma had the talent but she was very shocked how realistic the sneaker looked and how good it actually came. What you might think is not a good object or photo to draw or paint might turn out differently after you actually paint it and you'll see that you really like what you created and that it was a good choice.
    9.  My grandma is a very humble person and does not ever think her paintings were much good. She always saw things she needed to improve. We are our own worst critics. My grandma would pick things out of her painting that were wrong in her eyes but excellent in the eyes of everyone else. She enjoyed praise but did not think she deserved it.
    10. This is the best question for my grandma because she feels now in her life that my dad (her son) and I are forcing her to get involved in things and we are but only for her own good because we know how much she had enjoyed them when she was younger. She knows that if she pushed herself she would be able to do more but she at the moment is resisting and holding back and waiting people to feel sorry for her and my grandma was never like that. She always was an independent women where now she needs help.

    Throughout all of my research, I have found out that even though creative class and being among people does help in a very positive way many senior citizens just cannot do them or be a part of them because they are sick and not well enough. That is a hard fact to see and realize for their loved ones who are just trying to help and bring joy/happiness to their lives. My grandma sees that what we are doing is coming from a place of love but she has been acting not like herself for the past few weeks and she does not know what she wants and what will make her feel better, stronger, and happier. But, in time when my family gets a new home health aid taking care of her we hope to see the old women we miss and maybe than taking a creative class and making friends will be fun, instead of a big hassle.

    Handsome Photo of My Grandpa, Frank Sisco Sr. at Age 70.

    “Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.  We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” 
     - Samuel Ullman

     
    My Grandfather’s Singing Kept Him Young

    My Grandfather & My Dad’s Father, Frank Sisco Sr. loved to sing and his dying wish was to sing Ave Maria at Our Lady of Victory Church where him and my dad used to live in Mt. Vernon. When my grandma found out he was going to sing, she did not want him to for reasons we will never understand. But we encouraged my grandfather and he was even able to walk up 15 steps to the church balcony when at home he had trouble just walking
    up three steps. He was so happy that day that nothing was going to stop him from singing and that is why my grandfather was my Sunshine. Last August on his Mother’s (My Great Grandmother’s) Birthday at the age of 84, he died. I’ll Miss You Forever Grandpa.




    Photo of My (Nonnie)Great Grandma, Mary Sisco when she was young.

    "There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” – Sophia Loren




    My Great Grandmother Knew all the Old Tunes

    Nonnie, my Great Grandma (My Dad’s Grandmother) kept a composition book (since age 17) of all the songs she loved from her generation. She wrote out by hand all the lyrics to these favorite songs of hers. On 7/27/97 (at age 90) my dad, my grandfather and I took her to sing at a nursing home and everyone there loved her singing. She had a ball and singing always put a smile on her face. At the end of her life she could not remember much
    but she always could remember the words to these songs. She died at the age of 95 and lived a good life.
    Here is the Audio of her singing many of the more than 50 songs she sang that day at the nursing home. Nonnie, I hope you are still singing in Heaven.





    Creating Her First Work of Art
    at Age 90

    Video of a Lena Mastrionni who was a 90 year old nun whom my dad interviewed about a painting that she painted and was very proud of. This was the first time she attempted to paint and everyone in the senior home where she lived gathered around at a WCCA art event at Andrus to admire her painting. My dad found her very engaging to talk with and funny with many of the things she said.  Here is the video of the interview of her that was taken about 6 years ago. She has a great spirit for life and this painting she did gave her a new sense of enjoyment and a way to share with others.




    “Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

    Aging can be difficult at times, we all go through it. It is important to remember that even though our physical appearance changes, our spirit does not. Some people in their 70s and 80s are much younger than some people in their 20s or 30s. It all comes down to one thing and that is our outlook on life. We are never too old to realize a new goal or dream. Also we must realize, just because someone is older, it does not mean that they have nothing left to offer to society and are incapable of accomplishing great things in their remaining years.



    Photo - Karen Brinn and a beautiful senior lady that she became very close with that she talked about in her video interview. 



    Be Creative and Active when you’re a Senior and You’ll be Living the Life like this Couple !!










No comments:

Post a Comment